Solid waste is the term used to describe non-liquid waste material arising from domestic, trade, commercial, agricultural and industrial activities and from public services. The fundamental objective of solid waste management program is to reduce the environmental pollution and as well as utilizing the waste as resource. The methods of solid waste management vary greatly with types of wastes and locality.
Sources of solid waste found in Asansol are as follows:
- Ashes and residues emanating from the burning of wood, coal, coke and other inflammable wastes in institutions, homes, stores, industrials and municipal facilities for heating and cooking and above all the remains of combustible wastes,
- Rubbish comprising various kind of flammable and inflammable materials of households, institutions of commercial activities
- Demolition and construction waste from the construction sites.
- Industrial process wastes consisting of the solid and semi-solid wastes coming from industrial plants.
- Municipal wastes such as street sweeping materials, roadside litter, litter from municipal dustbins, dead animals and abandoned vehicles.
- Food waste from residues of various kind of fruit, vegetable, animal product
- Other wastes of many kinds of biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes coming from different sources like hospital, market, pathological lab etc.
In Asansol, solid waste management revolves around the following:
- Waste from residential areas:
- Waste from shops/vegetable/ fruit market:
- Waste from hospital/ nursing home/medical stores:
- Waste from Hotels/Restaurants/Eating stalls:
- Waste generated by street hawkers:
- Waste from Slaughter Houses/ Fish markets:
- Slaughterhouses and fish markets generate highly perishable matter.
Under this program, Asansol Municipal Corporation undertakes the following :
- Primary collection of solid waste: The primary collection of solid waste is done by fully with man-power. The workers perform their duty in three shift which includes morning shift from 6.00 A.M to 11.00 A.M, day shift from 11.00 A.M to 2.00 P.M and evening shift from 2.00 P.M to 5.00 P.M. In addition, there exists a night conservancy service between 8.30 P.M to 1.00 A.M. The primary collection includes the following activities
- Sweeping in different areas for collecting the garbage.
- Storing the garbage in the specific bins.
- Door to door collection the garbage.
- Collecting the waste from the house holds by Tricycles for unloading in transfer stations.
- Secondary Collection: Secondary collection is the transfer of solid waste from street to transfer stations and from transfer stations to disposal sites. For these activities there are engaged several numbers of heavy vehicles like dumper and lorries and light vehicles like tractor, van etc. with specific route scheduled for each and every vehicle for each trip. There are numerous solid waste transfer stations in AMC.
- Waste Disposal: At present, there are waste disposal sites under the AMC, which are open for dumping and partly covering with debris.
Under the dynamic leadership of the Hon’ble Mayor, focused efforts are on for the following :
- To take the strategies of integrated solid waste management which includes the following tasks
- To reduce the amount of solid waste generated.
- To recycle as much refuse as possible.
- To incinerate or to change the waste to compost, with appropriate environmental controls and with energy recovery actions.
- To continue sanitary land filling for selected waste items.
- Awareness campaigns and official notifications can bring about considerable changes in the attitude and perception of the people towards solid waste management.
- Introduction of training program for the all workers engaged in solid waste management
- Community involvement by way of making them aware about the municipal programs and processes.
- Besides the centralized system of AMC, decentralized segregation and collection systems are being introduced in the city with the participation of the resident’s association.
- Use of social media like newspaper, TV, Radio.
- Pre-disposal activities such as pyrolysis, incineration, composting, conversion to protein, hydro-pulping, plasma gasification.