The purpose of Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) is to :
The Mission will focus on the following Thrust Areas:
- ensure that every household has access to a tap with assured supply of water and a sewerage connection;
- increase the amenity value of cities by developing greenery and well maintained open spaces (e.g. parks); and
- reduce pollution by switching to public transport or constructing facilities for non-motorized transport (e.g. walking and cycling).
- Water Supply
- Sewerage facilities and septage management
- Storm Water drains to reduce flooding
- Pedestrian, non-motorized and public transport facilities, parking spaces
- Enhancing amenity value of cities by creating and upgrading green spaces, parks and recreation centers, especially for children.
The components of the AMRUT consist of capacity building, reform implementation, water supply, sewerage and septage management, storm water drainage, urban transport and development of green spaces and parks. During the process of planning, the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) will strive to include some smart features in the physical infrastructure components. The details of the Mission components are given below.
- Water supply systems including augmentation of existing water supply, water treatment plants
- Rehabilitation of old water supply systems, including treatment plants.
- Rejuvenation of water bodies specifically for drinking water supply and recharging of ground water.
- Special water supply arrangement for difficult areas, hill and coastal cities, including those having water quality problems (e.g. arsenic, fluoride)
- Decentralized, networked underground sewerage systems, including augmentation of existing sewerage systems and sewage treatment plants.
- Rehabilitation of old sewerage system and treatment plants.
- Recycling of water for beneficial purposes and reuse of wastewater.
Storm Water Drainage
- Fecal Sludge Management- cleaning, transportation and treatment in a cost-effective manner.
- Mechanical and Biological cleaning of sewers and septic tanks and recovery of operational cost in full.
- Construction and improvement of drains and storm water drains in order to reduce and eliminate flooding.
Green space and parks
- Ferry vessels for inland waterways (excluding port/bay infrastructure) and buses.
- Footpaths/ walkways, sidewalks, foot over-bridges and facilities for non-motorized transport (e.g. bicycles).
- Multi-level parking.
- Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS).
Reforms management & support
- Development of green space and parks with special provision for child-friendly components.
- Support structures, activities and funding support for reform implementation.
- Independent Reform monitoring agencies.
- This has two components- individual and institutional capacity building.
- Continuation of the Comprehensive Capacity Building Programme (CCBP)